ITS SO SHOCKING THAT STONEHENGE WAS ORIGINALLY A BURIAL PLACE FOR ELITE FAMILIES AS FAR BACK AS 3000BCE. WHY MUST THE ELITES GET THE BEST OF EVERYTHING?
Nothing for common families.
LONDON (AP) — British researchers have proposed a new theory for the origins of Stonehenge: It may have started as a giant burial ground for elite families around 3,000 B.C.
New studies of cremated human remains excavated from the site suggest that about 500 years before the Stonehenge we know today was built, a larger stone circle was erected at the same site as a community graveyard, researchers said Saturday.
“These were men, women, children, so presumably family groups,” University College London professor Mike Parker Pearson, who led the team, said. “We’d thought that maybe it was a place where a dynasty of kings was buried, but this seemed to be much more of a community, a different kind of power structure.”
Parker Pearson said archeologists studied the cremated bones of 63 individuals, and believed that they were buried around 3,000 B.C. The location of many of the cremated bodies was originally marked by bluestones, he said. That earlier circular enclosure, which measured around 300 feet (91 meters) across, could have been the burial ground for about 200 more people, Parker Pearson said.
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
https://videopress.com/v/zuoM618O?resizeToParent=true&cover=true&posterUrl=https%3A%2F%2Ffelastory.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2021%2F10%2Fghaddafi_mov_std.original.jpg&preloadContent=metadata Before NATO intervention oil production was 1.6 million barrels per day After the intervention and overthrow of Colonel Muammar...