It works! Russian Aerospace Forces fire Kinzhal hypersonic missile
Two Russian MiG 31 fighter bombers of the Russian Aerospace Forces fired the Kinzhal hypersonic missiles to destroy an arms depot at Delyatin near the city of Ivano-Frankivsk in western Ukraine Friday
Kinzhal missiles travel so fast, at Mach 10, they are meant to be able to evade detection by defense systems, and when announcing the missiles’ development in 2019, Russian President Vladimir Putin described them as “invincible.”
“The Kinzhal aviation missile system with hypersonic aero-ballistic missiles destroyed a large underground warehouse containing missiles and aviation ammunition in the village of Deliatyn in the Ivano-Frankivsk region,” the Russian Defense Ministry said Saturday.
The hypersonic strike destroyed the underground arms depot and the Ukrainian military spokesperson Yuri Ignat confirmed to the media that the strike caused casualties, damage and destruction. As well as numerous secondary explosions due to stored munitions going off. Since 2018 two elite Ukrainian units were based there and horrific images of dead and wounded soldiers have been shared on social media.
Russia becomes the first country in the world to fire an hypersonic missile in combat. According to Russian MoD the Kinzhal can hit targets at a range of over 2,000 kilometres. The deadly missile is able to manoeuvre on its trajectory and gain speeds of up to 10 mach making it impossible for it to be intercepted by today’s anti-missile systems.
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)