Nigerian foreign policy reaffirms the “One China” principle.
The Presidential spokesman Femi Adesina on Friday, in Abuja told the Chinese ambassador to Nigeria Cui Jianchun that Nigeria firmly supports the one-China principle.
During the courtesy call on the Chinese ambassador, Adesina expressed the attitude and position of the Nigerian federal government on the Taiwan question and re-iterated Nigeria’s firm commitment to the one-China principle.
Ambassador Cui said that the recent visit of U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to China’s Taiwan region is a serious violation of the one-China principle and the provisions of the three China-U.S. joint communiques.
“The U.S. act seriously tramples on basic norms in international relations, undermines China’s sovereignty and territorial integrity as well as the peace and stability across the Taiwan Straits.” The Chinese ambassador said in remarks.
“China is firmly opposed to this and will take resolute and strong measures to defend national dignity and safeguard national unity,” Cui stressed.
Adesina in remarks on behalf of the Federal Government, expressed Nigeria’s appreciation for China’s continued efforts to improve Nigeria’s infrastructure development in a number of areas, including power, railways and aviation.
“We will not forget China’s role,” he added. “President Muhammadu Buhari has very great respect for China. Many times he has spoken about the support from China and he deeply appreciates it.”
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)